Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Do The Impossible {Guest CT Member : Susan M. Brown}

Please focus your attention on our first Guest CT Member : Susan M. Brown. Susan is a super close friend and a talented creative! She works hard and knows her sh!t♥. I'm super excited to share her and her journal page with you today!! Here she is:

painting in the dark | http://www.sbartist.com 
Susan M. Brown {sbartist}

During the daylight hours... I am a graphic artist working in the fast-paced printing industry – after dark {and a nap}... I create while all the world is asleep. For as long as I can remember, I have loved making things and this is still true today. I'm a painter at heart – but I love to make dimensional things, something that pops-up, not just flat on the page.  I “embrace the unexpected”  – using materials in new and unexpected ways – including recycling and giving a new creative life to something headed for the trash bin.


I am excited and honored to be a Guest Designer for UmWowStudios... have you seen the new FLAIR??!! I created an art journal page, using the UmWowStudio Layered Banners. Let me start out by saying that when creating this I was working on two projects at once, both with UmWowStudio chippies. They are so wonderful I wanted to use them all – so I just gave it a whirl and let my creativity go. I sprayed some of the chippies with black and silver metallic mists on top of some freezer paper to protect my counter. I didn't want the beautiful inky swirls to go to waste so I mopped up the glittery goodness with some blank white cardstock. And the chippies hold up to the mists AMAZINGLY - I sprayed several layers to get the saturation of color and shimmer I desired. This resulted in several interesting graphic B&W backgrounds. One in particular had this negative square area left in the center and it was like a larger version of one of the layered banner chippie shapes. This became the background. I had a scrap piece of blue/green patterned paper {make unknown} that I misted the top edge and printed one of my stash of quotes onto it with my laser printer. Then I set to work on the banner shapes decorating them with various colors and patterns of washi tape {yep, I'm a washi junkie, too}. I ran some stripes of black and white washi tapes across the top to have a place for my banners to hang, and fashioned a faux clothesline out of Mizuhiki paper cord adhered with Diamond Glaze. I mounted this into my black paper base art quote journal using miracle tape and pearly photo corners.


Supplies: UmWowStudio Layered Banners; white cardstock; patterned paper scrap; photo corners; Mizuhiki paper cord; Washi Tape - K & Company and others; Tim Holtz Ideology Tissue Tapes; Stuart Superior Memories Metallic Mist; Ditto Black Mist; Diamond Glaze; and Miracle Tape from Viva Las VegaStamps!.

I love Susan's page! The splotchy artsy background, the covered chip, the color palette.. I love it all! Thanks so much for sharing today, Susan!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job with the mists!!! Ans of course the banner is great with all that color!!!

    ReplyDelete